Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I'm a Knitting Fool!

One of the things that I can do well right now is knit. I have to admit, it was a bit challenging in the hospital with the morphine the first night and day, and the Percoset the rest of the time, but it's been a constant in my days since I checked into the hospital 8 days ago.

I brought with me a pair of socks that I've started twice, and two skeins of beautiful alpaca, merino and cashmere yarn to make a Moebius scarf. Those of you who have read my previous posts heard about the four false starts on the moebius..... Well, I've finished it - and it's quite beautiful - at least I think so! I've select two photos to show you 1) the whole thing with the moebius twist, and 2) the detail of the arrow pattern. I still have to block it to get the lace (open work) to show better, but it's warm, soft and wearable right now!

I also took a look at a vest that I just finished - and was very disappointed in - The yarn is gorgeous - it's Brooks Farm yarn which I got at Stitches in Baltimore in 2007. I found a vest pattern at Tess' booth, and figured it would be a good match.... Unfortunately, the weight of the wool/mohair yarn and the pattern look lovely, but the overall vest when complete was heavy, and way, way to big. So, I've taken lemons, and am making lemonade!!!!

The pattern for the vest is a series of connected mitered squares, and I've found that without the top arm holes (which I've pulled out), I am now just adding more squares, and will make a nice lap blanket to warm my cold calves following total knee replacement surgery! One of the limitations I've got now is I have to keep the knee exposed, so that means wearing shorts, or capris, which I can rollup on the surgery knee. I am using it now as I continue adding the squares, and will defintely use it in April with the 2nd knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment