Friday, February 20, 2009

2nd day home

I have to admit - I was feeling quite cocky at the hospital when I was "breezing" thru PT and walking around the floor while others were in near or real tears. I think reality has hit me. Last evening, I noticed some blood at the site where the On-Q pump catheter was inserted, and decided since there was just a little of the Lidocaine left, that I'd go ahead and pull it out. So we had to bandage up that little mess, and then the Lidocaine started to wear off...

My right thigh was swollen about 2 1/2 inches more than my left, and it was making walking (even with the walker - which I was doing quite well with in the hospital) difficult. So early (9pm) to bed, with a regiman of 2 hrs on and 2 hrs off for the EBIce machine - and this morning, I feel like more myself. My swelling has dropped about an inch, and I am walking better.

Now, I've cleaned myself up, washed my hair, and with the help of Mary Lou (my neighbor), I completed my morning regiman of PT.

JD ran out for errands. He bought a remote control off/on for the EBIce device, since the only way you can turn it off is to unplug it - bad design. He also picked up lunch - which was a pleasant diversion. Hopefully all of the PT will work off some of what I'll be eating these next few weeks.

I'm so lucky that JD is able to be my caretaker and coach, and to have such good friends and neighbors. My house is beginning to look like a florist - but I do love flowers, so they are not going to waste!

I'm now waiting for Mary Beth my Visiting Nurse/PT person to arrive and I'll find out exactly what is in store for me over the next few weeks working here.

More later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment