Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 14 - It's passing quickly

As I look back over the last week, I'm pleased with my progress. I've graduated to a cane, and at times, can even walk without it - but I sway badly, and don't want to get into that habit of walking.... I've walked outside several times - with JD's help walked around the yard - which is a lot harder than it sounds since the ground is uneven underneath that lush green lawn - to appreciate the spring flowers that are blooming. Our Pink dogwoods. that we planted several years ago when the sour gum fell down, are in full bloom! Very exciting! The bleeding hearts are blooming around the yard in their little shady spots. It's so much nicer to see them up close, rather than thru a window. I have to admit, I'm getting rammy!

I will be starting Out PT this week on Thursday - one day early! Colleen & Barbara (my Home PT) said that I'm doing so well, that Aetna wouldn't pay for another day of Home PT.... Surprising with my rough beginnings. However, I do know the drill, and am probably pushing it a bit - since I started doing my standing exercises earlier than they said to - just cause I needed to get moving....

My final measurements with the Goniometer were 111 degrees flexion and -.5 - 0 extension. I'm pleased.

I've also got my apetite back 100%, but am doing well at portion control - and have dropped all of the weight gain, plus some, so, hopefully next time I weigh-in with Weight Watchers, I'll be at the official 30 lbs down mark. I can tell, since I tried on three pairs of shorts, and the first two were way-y to big, so ended up with the third size down.... Yeah! What a way to lose weight! And with 3-4 lbs of new knee(s) to boot!

I'm still using the meds (darvocet) at a pretty regular pace - usually no more than 4.5 hrs between them, and can definitely feel it when I go too long. It's funny, you get a false sense of the level of pain when you're on the meds.... Over the next week, I'll be trying to space it out a lot farther...

Sleeping has also been a progression - I've moved from sleeping on my back 100% of the time to switching from side to side to back, moving when my hips, knees and everything else starts to ache... I'm now sleeping about 3 - 3.5 hrs at a clip, so that is much better.... I've stopped icing at night due to the chills.

I've started pulling my own weight around the house - well, a little anyway, and now am emptying the dishwasher, pushing the swivel sweeper (very light) around, and generally trying to pickup after myself. I've got a little carry bag that I use for all of my "have to haves", like my darvocet, book, ipod, and knitting project, that I could hook onto the walker, or carry easily while using the cane.

All in all, I'm pleased with my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment