Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 7 - One week after Surgery

I had a good weekend - I began to "walk" with my walker rather than step, move walker, step, move walker, etc. Good friends Rob & Deb came down on Saturday and brought dinner makings - Fish Tacos! It was really fun to be able to totally think about something else - as they related all of the decisions and milestones that they are dealing with in the rebuilding of their home.

The weather was spectacular on Saturday, and I sat on the front porch for about 1 1/2 hour - and several neighbors stopped by. The sun was out, all of the weeping cherries down the street were in full bloom, and when the wind blew - it seemed like it was snowing as the petals drifted to the ground. It reminded me of last spring when JD and I went (along with 2 million others) to Wash DC for the Cherry Blossom weekend - and walked along the Tidal Basin. I hope that I'll be able to do much longer walks than we did that weekend in the coming months and years.

One thing I found out this weekend is about my surgery day. I didn't realize how long I was in the recovery room - with JD waiting downstairs.... My surgery was 7:30am, we had to arrive at 5:30am, and I finally got to my room around 3pm. Usually you're in your room 2 - 3 hours after surgery - but in my case, my vital signs - bp, oxygen level, etc were so low that they kept me in recovery for (obviously) much longer. I don't remember any of this.

Yesterday, Sunday, I ate/drank every meal, moved a lot, did 2 rounds of my PT exercises, and generally felt much, much, much better than I have in the last week. I even started knitting again - which looking back I was doing even in the hospital last time. Boy oh Boy, was Michele right - each knee is different!

I don't feel like I have as much range of motion in this knee, but Colleen, my home PT will determine the exact measurements today on her Goniometer. My flexion measurements in the hospital were between 85 and 90 - and about 5 degrees of extension.

I took my first shower in a week today, boy did that feel good! I was glad to have the teak stool to rest on, and I even shaved my legs! Now I'm squeaky clean! It sure beats hanging over the tub holding on to the walker to wash my hair and take a sponge bath!

Thanks to everyone for their prayers, concern, caring, and comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment