Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 5 - First Home PT visit

Barb from VNA Visiting Nurses PT came this morning for my evaluation. She noted that my oxygen count is still low - 90 - 93, my blood pressure is high - 160/81, and pulse is high- over 100. But my temperature is normal - so that is good.... Not sure why, but decided to weigh myself - and yikes! I'm almost 10 lbs higher than the morning before we left for surgery.

We call Dr. Cascell's office to ask if all this was "normal". It took several hours for them to respond. Apparently this conditon is normal...for people who've had blood problems...due to a bad procedure! Eileen suggested geritol (iron) and/or dark green leafy vegetables.

Day 5 and have only eaten several bites of food in past 3 days...anyone who knows me knows that's unusual!!! Not sure why I'm not losing weight instead of gaining....

I think the extra weight it a result of all of the extra liquids I was given at the hospital, so will be keeping an eye on that. Maybe the hourly pee will take care of the water/liquid weight - that or the exercise of going up and down the stairs each time. This morning, I was so tired after I stayed upstairs at 10:30, and slept until each pee break. I didn't feel like making the hike up/down the stairs. I came back down around 2pm, and have eaten a little - I ate about 1 inch of the left over Bobbie from yesterday, and about 2/3 of a cup of chicken enchilada soup. Been trying to keep the water intake up to keep flushing the stuff in my body...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jan,
    I've enjoyed reading your blog. I'm glad to read that you are doing pretty well. I too, have little appetite. I seem to tire easily. I've been doing my exercises twice daily. As you know, they can be painful. But I know it will be better in the long run.

    I hope you continue to do well -- don't worry about the weight gain -- you look great!

    Take care and keep in touch!

    Your roommate,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, just caught up with your blog. What a difference, it seems, from the first surgery.

    BTW, what is a bobbie?

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Bobbie is a Sub (Hoagie) that is made with store cooked and shredded turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. Probably not the most heart healthy thing around, but good and tasty for someone without an appetite!

    ReplyDelete