Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 4 (Thursday) - Time to go home

Day 2 in hospital was a little rough - I had to have another two units of O- blood - this makes a total of four (4)! I ate almost nothing for dinner on Wednesday night - good thing J.D. didn't make the dinner he was thinking of. All in all, this time in hospital has been vastly different - I've been exhausted, low oxygen count (low 90's) , racing heart - and his pulse (100+), and I've gotten enough lactated ringers and Red Blood Cells (via IV) to float a ship. During the night on Tuesday night, my heart was racing (also low oxygen count) - so they put me on oxygen. This really helped - it's really weird to feel your heart beating in your head and ears.

Remember the old Bill Cosby routine "What do you mean when you say 'oops'"? Most of Jan's slow and lethargic recovery has been because of a mistake made before surgery. Seems the nurse surgical team took too much blood (100cc vs. 30cc) for a new anti-coagulant mix/process during surgery. Oops. That resulted in Jan's battle in fighting low blood count, anemia, chills, exhaustion, and other symptoms not directly related to the surgery itself.

I guess that's why they call it "medical practice"...

So, they let me out of the hospital around 11am - and we stopped at Capriotti's for a Bobbie - that should get the blood pressure up some (it didn't). - I settled into my comfie "stressless" chair with my legs elevated, and my new knee iced, and I proceeded to sleep away most of the afternoon.

JD made a wonderful Chicken Picata with fresh asparagus, and cheese tortellini for dinner, and I ate very little - guess I know what I'll have for lunch or dinner tomorrow.

Off to bed at 9pm

No comments:

Post a Comment